Hello!!! Been awhile! In the midst of renovating my room, doing my personal project (1/5 completion) and busy with other side projects hence the late update. I am really excited for my new room as it will be convert into my work space/dining space/bedroom. To dish out more amazing food & photography!
This week, introducing to you guys a light heartening appetizing salad. Roasted beetroot & asparagus with balsamic vinaigrette topped with pomelo and quail egg! HAHA pretty long name for such a simple dish. Beetroot are easily available even in wet market. They are real cheap, healthy and nutritious!
Ingredients – 2 servings – 40 minutes
- 1 whole beetroot cut in thin slices
- 10 baby asparagus (or more to your liking)
- 1 sag of pomelo flesh seperate in to bits
- 2-4 hard boiled quail eggs peeled
- 4 tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Crushed nuts to garnish
- 4 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbs of brown sugar
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- Lay the sliced beetroot on the oven tray, and asparagus on another tray. Drizzle both with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake on preheated 200C/400F, beetroot about 15 minutes, baby asparagus about 10 minutes.
- While roasting the vegetable, mix all the ingredients for the balsamic vinaigrette together. Taste and adjust according – more salt, sugar or vinegar to your liking.
- After the vegetables are done, start assembling the vegetables, top with the vinaigrette, quail egg & crushed nuts. You can also refrigerate the roasted vegetable if you like the salad cold. And you’re DONE!
Insights: In the past, people use to use beetroot to make red velvet cake for its vibrant color. But nowadays, it’s too much effort to extract the color from the beetroot, thus the usage of food coloring prove to be more convenient. That gave me an idea to bake red velvet cake the traditional way in future!
I’ll be heading Bangkok next week perhaps I’ll be doing a post on where to get food props, good cafes and nice restaurant to dine in. Keep a lookout!